The history of Distillerie Mazzari began in the year 1958. Mr Primo Mazzari, who comes from Russi near Ravenna, used to work as a haulier for some local companies and warehouses. Due to the limited storage capacity and the copious production of fruits in those years, the goods in excesswere thrown away. Aware of this waste, Mr Primo Mazzari decided to collect the exceeding goods and deliver them in a private warehouse in order to produce cider (pulp of mashed fruit), which becomes a raw material with alcohol content for distillation, which was sold at the distilleries nearby.
As at that time the countryside was full of orchards, Mr. Mazzari and his father decided to expand their activity building with the construction of a new cider manufacturing site, moving it from Russi to Sant’Agata sul Santerno (Ravenna), which was considered a strategic point due to the proximity to many fruit companies on the territory.
Whenever the plant was built, Mr Mazzari increased his business of fruit collection and production of cider, in a short time he reached high production levels. In 1960 he also built a small distillation plant but compared to the huge quantity of available raw material, the distillery began not to be sufficient. Therefore he decided to build a second plant with the possibility to process not only fruit but also wine and wine by–products, in order to expand the variety of raw materials and finished products (Wine Distillate, Italian Brandy, Fruit Distillates etc.). The distillation plant was further enhanced and Primo Mazzari become soon a strong competitor among the existing larger distilleries.